With the Pre-Seed, we pursue the goal of helping innovative green tech startups to receive early-stage financing from the state of Baden-Württemberg “Start-up BW Pre-Seed”, to jointly develop a clear financing strategy for the next few years and to lay the groundwork for follow-up financing at an early stage.

You will get to know the mechanisms of financing rounds better and what investors look out for. In 1:1 consulting sessions, we work on your financing architecture and, if necessary, involve (impact) investors from our network, who can give feedback on planned milestones with a view to future investments. In the context of pre-seed, we basically support you in working on your business models and building your companies.



Many innovative business ideas are never realised because many founders lack the necessary financing, especially in the early startup phase. For this reason, the funding instrument “Start-up BW Pre-Seed” was created. Start-up BW Pre-Seed is a funding instrument that starts at an early stage. In this phase, institutional investors are reluctant to invest because of the increased risk and the uncertain prospects for the success of the startup project. In order to support promising startup projects on their way to financing maturity, the state of Baden-Württemberg provides funding for the Start-up BW Pre-Seed Programme.

>SMART> GREEN is a Start-up BW Pre-Seed support partner:in accredited by the state of Baden-Württemberg and thus a contact: for interested startups. The financing program supports innovative start-ups in the seed phase with a favourable loan with conversion option.

The application amount is usually between €50.000 and €200.000. At least 20% risk participation must be contributed by a co-investor. The remaining 80% is the funding from the state of BaWü, paid out by the L-Bank. For 200.000 €, this would be 40.000 € co-investment and 160.000 € from the L-Bank. The co-investor can also increase the share to the same amount from L-Bank, which means the startup can apply for 320.000 €.


Apply Now! Pre-Seed Funding FAQ Information from L-Bank

Which Startups can apply for?

The following criteria must be met by startups in order to be accepted into the programme and be eligible for pre-seed funding:

  • Location Baden-Württemberg
  • Maximum 5 years old
  • Growth orientation and above-average degree of innovation
  • Non-listed micro or small enterprise according to SME definition
  • Equity capital from third parties not higher than the pre-seed total amount
  • No merger or takeover of the activities of another company
  • For >SMART> GREEN as support partner: Green Tech reference
  • Co-Investor with at least 20% risk participation

Please take a close look at the regulations in the download area of the L-Bank.

PRE-SEED consulting services

Business model check-up (mandatory)

In a remote call, we would like to understand your business model in detail and check whether pre-seed is suitable for you based on your degree of innovation, the framework conditions and the timing.

Info Session Financing Tracks and Scenarios

Based on various scenarios, we present possible startup financing tracks and, in the course of this, also address the “Start-up BW Pre-Seed” funding.

Info Session Pre-Seed en Detail

We go through the relevant application documents for Pre-Seed and show you what is important.

Consultation on financing strategy and story

We give you advisory on your financing strategy and work together on your financing story (for Pre-Seed).

Pre-Seed Jury Pitch training

You have probably already pitched (a few times) and know what content belongs in a deck. However, we will work with you on the structure for potential investors as well as the state of Baden-Württemberg and the L-Bank. We will prepare you for your pitch in front of the Pre-Seed jury.

Investor call with our partner VCs

What criteria do BonVenture and HTGF use to invest, for example, and what really matters? These questions are best answered by the VC themselves. You have the opportunity to ask questions about your startup and your financing strategy.

Business Angels Pitch Event

You will have the opportunity to pitch to the Black Forest Business Angels and get valuable feedback.

>SMART> GREEN Startup Night

This is not about Pre-Seed, but our event highlight: Let’s review an accelerator year in our brilliant and warm-hearted smartgreen community, bring impact on stage and celebrate successes together. Many representatives of the green tech industry and the startup support ecosystem will be there. In addition, the winners of the #MakeItMatter Award will be announced!